We decided to start the build process with the power control box. Each of the boards are mounted in place using 4-40 countersink screws with a small washer, nylon spacer, and nut (all of which were purchased at Lowes). Using a countersink drill bit allows for the face of the box to remain flat, and that will be essential when a graphic is applied to it later on. I didn’t use any fancy method for measuring the best position to place the boards. I simply put them where I thought it would be best and marked the hole positions prior to drilling. The relay board is slightly off center to allow for additional cables. I then removed¬†all of the old cables from the surge protector circuit and soldered new ones to accommodate the required lengths. The on/off switch had to be taken off the board to be moved to another location in the box.

Finally, I have started on the wiring harness for each of the outlets. As of yet I have only completed the ground connection, but should have the other two done soon. I think it is best to use the connectors on the back of each outlet instead of soldering the wire directly to them. This will allow for disconnecting and easy maintenance later on. The connectors I’m using aren’t really made for two 14 gauge wires, so I had to open the back end up a little prior to crimping it down. Once a partial crimp was done I soldered the connection and cover it with heat shrink.